in the area of Ixia. In the location where now lies the Holy Monastery Faneromeni, in the 19th century was the leper colony of Rhodes, isolated from the rest of the world. One day, a leper found on shore in the sand, an icon of the Virgin Mary.
The revelation of the image received the name “Faneromeni” and caused the building of a small humble church in which the icon (pridde of the monastery) was placed.
Later the chapel was expanded with the help of Christians from the communities of Ialyssos and Kremasti and in 1933 was named monastery, with the first abbot to be the Archimandrite Dorotheos Fragkias.
With the grace of God and the blessing of Virgin Mary during a two years’ period between 2009-2011, the Catholic of the Holy Monastery was completely renovated and inaugurated by His Eminence, our Sheperd mr. Kirillos on the 17th of October 2010 and since then it continues on its way over the years,
offering recreation and serenity to every pilgrim who calls upon and invokes Her grace. We pray heartily for those who invoke Her Grace, that Virgin Mary “Faneromeni” will always be an assistant and companion in the struggle of their lives.